A Thriving Club for the Green-fingered!
The Stilton Gardening and Natural History Club meets on the third Tuesday of every month at the Church Meeting Room at 7:30pm. A guest speaker is invited to present a topic of interest; recent topics have included ‘A Camera in the Garden’, ‘Bee-keeping’ and ‘The Gardens of Burleigh House.’
Occasional trips are organised to gardens, gardening shows, nature reserves and farms; local favourites include Anglesey Abbey, the gardens at Hemingford Manor and Burghley House, and Fineshade Wood. Sometimes we travel further afield – for example to Kew Gardens.
Whether seriously green-fingered or just beginning, the Club offers much of interest and a friendly sociable atmosphere. Meetings cost £1 for members; £2 for non-members.
Contact Olive on 241206 for more details, or just come along to a meeting!
The Gawler Trophy
Every summer the club runs the Open Gardens event, and judges the Best Kept Garden Competition for The Gawler Trophy, in memory of Stan Gawler. The Competition is open to all age groups. Special junior prizes can be awarded at the judge’s discretion.
The rules are:
- The Competition is open to all residents of Stilton, Folksworth, Denton, Caldecote and Morborne
- The judges will be looking for a tidy garden – ornamental, vegetable, or a mixture
- Judging takes place during July
- The judge will be the previous year’s winner
- A winner cannot enter the next year’s competition
- Practising professional gardeners cannot enter
- The Judge’s decision will be final
If you would like to enter your garden, or that of a friend or neighbour, please contact Olive Main (241206)